Technology for Educators: Tools for Teachers
Sue Frantz of Highline CC gave a well-received webinar session on useful tools for teachers. Part of a weekly series of presentations and live office hours offered by the Washington State eLearning Community, the presenter of this workshop, Sue Frantz provided participants with a handout covering approximately 50 primarily web-based tools useful to educators divided into 16 categories. Specific tools demonstrated and discussed in this Elluminate Live recorded session:
- http://Dropbox.com File management between multiple computers & devices using the cloud. No more emailing files to yourself or deal with flash drive issues. Allows you to share files with other members of your department, or make a public link. Just like GoogleDocs keeps revisions to allow you to restore older versions of content items.
- http://videodropper.ep.io Videodropper lets you send YouTube videos directly to your Dropbox folder, so that you can watch or show them later (offline) at your leisure and you don’t have to be connected to the internet. You can also choose to optimize videos for viewing in an iPhone/iPod Touch.
- http://YouCanBook.Me Web scheduler allows folks to schedule appointments with you, can also synchronize with outlook and Google calendar. Students can book you, and that can sync through your Google calendar and/or Outlook with sync tool. Also this tools allows you to set a limit to the number of students who can book or sign-up for a particular appointment. While the default is one person per time slot, you can increase the allocation, if you wish to allow a group to have an appointment. Which means the appointment would continue to stay open for sign-ups, until the maximum number of people have signed up. You can also create a form, which will send reminders and allows the persons who made appointments to cancel using an email message. Also discusses Doodle appointments, and Google Calendar appointments.
- https://bitly.com Utility that allows users to shorten a long URL (web link), share it, and then track the resulting usage. Also allows you to create “bundles” of links on one page.
- http://m.socrative.com Turns any web-enabled device, including smartphones, into classroom clickers. No proprietary hardware needed! Also can create live quizzes with immediate feedback, then have it emailed to you as a spreadsheet.
- http://joinme.com Has conference calling abilities, and allows you to quickly and easily share your desktop inside a web browser.
Other web-based tool you may find useful (thanks to Scott Dennis for compiling these).
- http://www.picnik.com Free, web-based photo editor
- http://www.photoshop.com/ Free web-based photo editor
- http://www.slideshare.net/ A nice place to keep online presentations
- http://prezi.com Create “Game Changing” presentations using animation and on the fly graphics
- http://www.mindmeister.com/ Free mind mapping/flowcharting tool
- http://www.wikispaces.com/ Free powerful group collaboration tool
- http://www.scribd.com Millions of books and documents, or add your own
- http://voicethread.com Collaborative multi-media slideshows with collected and shared comments (text, audible, and video)
- http://grcode.kaywa.com Generate QR codes for URLs, Text, Phone numbers, and SMS
- http://visual.ly/about Find or create digital visualizations and info graphics
- http://www.diigo.com Bookmark, highlight, annotate – web information management tool
- http://zamzar.com Free file conversion tool, no download required. If you received student work in a file format you could not open, use Zamzar to point to a file you want converted. After conversion, you receive an email with a download link.
- http://www.filepigeon.com/ Send files that are too large to email. Free version allows up to 100 Mb files.
- http://doodle.com Free event scheduling polls (similar to youcanbook.me mentioned above), personal profile and connection with other calendars.
- http://goo.gl/LD0VO Create surveys with Google Forms. Collects the data automatically in a spreadsheet.
- http://www.symbaloo.com/ Your own personal web-based desktop